Barber 1000 hours
Our purpose is to build a foundation in barbering and train you to become one of the chosen few: a licensed barber. Our goal is to provide you with the knowledge, technical and business skills that will allow you to become employable upon graduation and a licensed barber. We will give you the tools to succeed!
Course Goals/ Objectives:
- Students will receive an education in both theory and practical experience and gain knowledge in all phases of Barbering.
- To prepare students to work in a professional barbershop /salon.
- To develop employer/employee relationships and effective communication skills.
The clock hour education is provided through a sequential set of learning steps which address specific tasks necessary for graduation and job entry level skills. Clinic equipment, implements, and products are comparable to those used in the industry. Each student will receive instruction that relates to the performance of useful, creative, and productive career oriented activities. The course is presented through well-developed lesson plans, which reflect current educational methods. Subjects are presented by means of lecture, demonstration, and student participation. Audio-visual aids, guest speakers, field trips and other related learning methods are used in the course.
Students follow Milady's Standard of Professional Barbering. A comprehensive library of references, periodicals, books, texts, and audio/video tapes are available to support the course of study and supplement the students' training. Students should avail themselves of the opportunity to use these extensive materials.
State of CT. Curriculum / Units of Instruction:
- The total curriculum shall not be less than one thousand (1,000) hours of instruction.
- The first one hundred fifty (150) hours must be devoted to instruction in the theoretical aspects of all content areas. Practical instruction can be included in this first one hundred fifty (150) hours but supervised practice on a clinic floor cannot.
- The remaining eight hundred fifty (850) hours are to be devoted to supervised practice integrated with ongoing theoretical and practical instruction.
Instructor Qualifications/Teacher to Student Ratios:
Instructors shall be at least 18 years of age, hold a high school diploma or equivalent, hold a current license as a barber in good standing in Connecticut, and have at least 2 years of licensed work experience (e.g., barber shop, salon, instructor, etc.).
At no time shall there be a ratio of less than 1 instructor to 15 students for clinical training.
MINIMUM REQUIRED INSTRUCTION HOURS
Sanitation & Hygiene
Anatomy & Physiology
Hair Care & Treatment
Skin Care, Facial, Manicuring
Hair Shaping (20) Styling (10) Shaving (20)
Business & Professional Relations
State Laws for Barbers & Hairdressers and EEOC Guidelines
Barbering Academic Program
Fundamental I Barbering(Show program timeline)
Fundamental II (minimum 150 hrs/Clinic is included during this phase) (Show program timeline)
Fundamental III (Clinic is included during this phase) (Show program timeline)
Fundamental IV (Clinic is included during this phase) (Show program timeline)
Minimum Number Of Clinic Services To Be Performed In Order To Graduate
A student must complete all requirements of a Fundamental level including grade out before advancing into next level.
Cleanliness and sanitation are essential aspect of our profession. Students will be asked to participate in daily and weekly clean-up tasks around the school including bathroom facilities. This is part of the training and will help develop skills and habits that will contribute to future success. In addition, please observe the guidelines that follow:
- Keep your equipment intact, clean and sanitized.
- Keep your work station and the break room clean. Do not leave open cans, cups etc... on the table. Place pocket books in locker, not at your station!!!
- You are responsible for your book, equipment and supplies. If any item is lost or stolen, you need to replace it.
The Branford Academy is not responsible for any lost or stolen items
Student Kit- Barbering
Students are responsible to purchase a Branford Academy Kit at an additional cost from the tuition. Note: Kit items are subject to change.